Saturday, December 29, 2012

Caper Chicken

The boy, 9 times out of 10 will ask me to make this recipe when I ask what he wants to eat for dinner.  He loves it that much!  This comes somewhat as a shock to me because he's such a picky eater.  Something about caper chicken though, he just can't get enough of.  We knew he loved it when I made it one time and gave it to him and not only did he eat all that I gave him, but he kept asking for more!  I think he had nearly polished off a whole chicken breast by the time he was finally full!  If he can polish off a whole chicken breast at 4, I fear for how much food he's going to be putting away as a teenager!
In any case, I originally found the recipe at allrecipes.com.  I love that site too!  If I'm trying a new recipe out, it's either something I've found there or on pinterest.  The recipe is listed here, and I don't have a picture of the final outcome of this one because we finish it off faster than I can take a picture!
I don't measure out the spices, and I always double the sauce because there just isn't enough if you follow the recipe exactly.  Serve over some rice, and with a side of green beans, and you've got yourself a meal!


Caper Chicken:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (I usually use 3...one for each of us, but have done as many as 5)
1 tsp lemon pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried dill weed
3 tbsp butter
1/2 c. whipping cream (I just buy the small 1 pint container of heavy cream and use the whole thing...doubles the sauce)
2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed

Make sure your chicken is thawed completely before starting.  It makes the cooking process MUCH easier (trust me on this one...I somehow end up with chicken still raw in the middle for some reason and end up having to finish it for a couple minutes in the microwave and it just doesn't taste as good!).
Season (one side of) the chicken breasts with lemon pepper, salt, dill weed and garlic powder
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Place breasts in skillet, (seasoned side down, and season the other side...the extra seasonings in the skillet give the sauce more flavor) and increase heat to medium-high.  Turn chicken every few minutes, until brown, then cook a bit longer until they're cooked through.  Remove chicken to a warm serving platter, and cover with foil (or if you're like me, put them on the plate WITHOUT foil and into the microwave for a couple minutes)
Increase heat on stove to high, and whisk in heavy cream (in the skillet), stirring constantly so it doesn't burn. Stir until it is reduced to sauce consistency (it will bubble up a lot, and then settle down).  Remove from heat, and stir in capers.
Pour sauce over chicken and enjoy!

I make this with rice, and a little sauce goes a long way.  I've read that this is also pretty good served with pasta as well, but we prefer rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment