Sunday, December 9, 2012

Glass etching

When I was (very) pregnant with the boy, my middle sister got married. I was in the wedding party and as much as I wanted to help do things, at 36 weeks pregnant, there really wasn't a whole lot that I was physically capable of doing! There was one project that I was able to help with and it ended up turning into an addiction! She had toasting glasses for the whole wedding party, and had been working on etching everyone's names into them. Well, wedding day came and the project wasn't quite completed. Enter uber pregnant sister to finish the job! It was while I was finishing up the project that I discovered just how much fun glass etching was/is! The glasses turned out super cute, and I decided that if I ever got the chance that it would be a fun project to do again.
Fast forward a few years, and I still hadn't forgotten about that project. The problem was, I couldn't really think of anything worthwhile to do. One day a couple of months ago, I finally had a good idea for a glass etching project. I got sick and tired of how messy and disorganized that our laundry area had become and I went on an all-out cleaning spree! You know the type...the cleaning spree where nothing is safe from the garbage can, and you end up with stacks of random things that need to be put elsewhere. This whole cleaning spree was inspired by a mug that we had on top of the dryer. In this particular mug goes all the change, and other random knicknacks that end up in the dryer after a load of laundry is done...see where I'm going with this? I had found the perfect jar to use to throw all of our "laundered money" in, but there was no place on top of the dryer to put said jar, hence the cleaning spree!
Anyway, once I had the laundry area cleaned up, I finally got to work on my laundered money jar. I had some scrap vinyl left over from another project I had done, so I pulled out my cricut, threw a cartridge in, and made a quick stencil for the etching. I stole borrowed a paintbrush from the boy and grabbed my jar of etching cream and went to work.



After letting the etching cream set for a couple minutes, I rinsed it off, but it didn't look like it had set long enough.  I made sure that the jar was completely dry and put another coat of etching cream on.  This time I let it sit longer, rinsed again and pulled off the vinyl.


I ran downstairs, showed off my latest creation to hubby, and then proceeded to the garage to set the jar on top of the dryer.  I quickly put the change in there that had been collected in the mug (see that john deer mug in the background?), and left the mug to throw other random dryer treasures in!



I'm really not sure how much more change has been collected, or what is going to be done with the change that we collect.  I'm sort of thinking of letting it be a place that I raid for coffee money!  Finders keepers, right?!

Anyway, there you have it.  Glass etching...a quick and easy project that can really spruce up an ordinary jar.  Now, to think of the next thing that I'm going to etch.  I've heard that pyrex is a good candidate for that, but I just need to come up with something catchy to put on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment