Monday, December 17, 2012

Homemade Chili

My mom used to make chili all the time when I was a kid (still does, actually), and I've always loved her recipe.  When I got married, I decided that I was going to impress my hubby with my mom's chili.  He'd had it several times when she had made it already, so he knew what he was in for.  My only problem with my chili-making endeavor, was that I had no clue really what I was doing!  Sure, I had watched her make it many times, but I never really paid attention to what went in the pot!  So began a series of phone calls that I would make to her (and at 31 years old, still do!) that when she answers the phone, the first words out of my mouth are "Stupid question from your daughter!".  We both get a good laugh out of it, and then I proceed to ask my question.
I digress...this particular question of how to make her chili recipe sort of left me baffled. I couldn't believe that it was that haphazard, and that easy!  The recipe I was given..."Go down the bean aisle at the grocery store and grab a can or two of each type of bean, a can of diced tomatoes, some pork chorizo, and a pound of ground beef.  Brown up the ground beef with some onion and garlic, then throw it in a pot with all the beans, tomatoes, chorizo, and whatever spices you want, bring it to a boil and serve."  I was shocked...it couldn't really be that easy, and what the heck was chorizo?!  I've since learned a lot more about cooking, and have discovered that sometimes the best meals happen when you grab a whole bunch of things and just throw them into a pot!  That being said, the first time I make something, I'll follow the recipe pretty exact and then when I make it again, I'll change things up to make it better.
Since it was cold and slushing out this weekend, and I had a pantry full of beans, I figured that chili would be the perfect comfort food!  I didn't have everything that I needed for it, but it turned out pretty good anyway.  I like to refer to this chili as a good way to make space in the pantry.  I think I used at least 10 cans by the time I was done!

Homemade Chili
-1 or 2 cans of whatever types of beans you want (don't drain the juices):
  I typically use:
Chili beans (2 cans)
Kidney beans (2 cans)
Pinto beans (2 cans)
White beans
   There's usually a couple more types of beans that I throw in (black, great northern, garbanzo, etc.), but this was what I had in the pantry
-Diced tomatoes
-Tomato sauce
-Green Chilies (this was not part of my mom's recipe, but we like the extra kick that it gives)
-1lb ground beef
-Onion
-Garlic
-Random seasonings (I use chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, cumin) to taste
-Pork chorizo

Brown ground beef with onion and garlic.  Drain (I usually rinse also because I don't cook with a ton of grease) and add to a stock pot with the beans, chorizo, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies, and seasonings.  Stir occasionally so stuff doesn't stick to the bottom and bring just to a boil.  Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment